Saturday 11 June 2011

Spicy Pork Quesadillas

So, day number two and I'm back again! I actually managed to remember to take photos all the way through (although have you ever tried to take photos while also trying to cook three things? Neither have I, which is why we have some steamy and blurry photos).

I do also want to apologise for my apparent lack of prowess in the English language. The last two posts don't scan too well. To be honest I've been so preoccupied with work that I've barely written a thing in months. Hopefully my writing skills will re-appear. If not, well, at least the food is tasty!

Spicy Pork Quesadillas  
Another adaptation from Beyond Baked Beans, I do get recipes from other places though, honest!


Ingredients - Serves 2
Chilli sauce
200g minced pork (not pictured, explanation below)
2 tbsp olive oil
3 spring onions (chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin (I probably put closer to 2 tsps of each in)
1/2 a 400g can of chopped or whole tomatoes
1 x 400g can of red kidney beans
1 tsp coriander leaf (I barely used even that. Coriander, bleugh)
6 small tortilla wraps
small bowl of grated cheddar cheese


(So I was going to make this more faithful to the original, but then John reminded me that I did in fact have half a pack of pork mince left over from last night. To be honest, I'm usually terrible at using half packs/cans of things and we throw out more than we should as a result. Consider this my first step in changing that!)

1. Heat a little olive oil in a medium sized saucepan. Throw in the chopped spring onion and fry for about a minute

2. Add the cumin, chilli powder and garlic. Then stir in the chopped tomatoes and pour in the tin of kidney beans. (drain them first, I almost didn't and there was way too much liquid as I also didn't drain the tomatoes). Cover and leave on the hob.

3. While the bean mixture is cooking, heat some more olive oil in another pan and brown the pork mince. As it is browning, add a little more cumin, chilli powder and chilli sauce to taste (I also stuck some tomato puree in there but I don't think this was really needed, I just felt like I wanted it to look colourful?)

4. After the mince is cooked through, take it off the heat and put aside. Check your bean mixture. Most of the juices should have evaporated and you can now take it off the heat and roughly mash it with a fork or potato masher.
 (This actually isn't how it should look, it should be less...wet? It was still really yummy though so I wouldn't worry if this is what it looks like)

5. Get out a frying pan, and get all your toppings organised in order to make the quesadillas
 
6. Heat up the frying pan (no oil!) and put a tortilla on flat for a second then flip it over. Once the tortilla is warm, place the pork, beans and cheese on one side leaving a gap around the edge.
 (Or y'know, chuck it all over the place like I do)

7. Fold the tortilla in half and heat until the cheese is melted and the rest of the filling is warm. Flip over a couple times to ensure it is cooked evenly.
 
8. Serve and enjoy!

 

This meal was AMAZING. Seriously, so so yummy. On the John-nom-o-meter it got top marks, as he was already planning to go and rebuy the ingredients tonight so I could make more.

I'm not making any more tonight but I'll probably whip up an uber batch of the bean mix tomorrow, as I'm pretty sure it would make an awesome lunchtime snack with some sour cream and guacamole.

Enjoy!

Roisi x

No comments:

Post a Comment